PLN: Yes, I'm In Control


You may have noticed by now that I am a control freak (except when it comes to eating for some reason).  Anyway, after viewing the PLN Spark video I was able to identify myself. 

I was a teacher at one time and I am familiar with PLCs ,(Professional Learning Communities)which some of you have pointed out, but how do they compare?  I think the purpose of a PLC is to get a group together that may have something in common , usually teaching.  In a sense they are thrown together to accomplish some goal.

PLNs are more organic.  They are grown by the participants and cultivated by how active you decide to be.  The article, "What are Personal Learning Networks?" by Shift Learning does a pretty good job of describing the differences between PLNs, PLEs and CoPs. Yep, that's a lot of letters thrown around but to distinguish between all of the different networks, communities and environments. They are not the same and their functions allow for various experiences.  For example, a PLE (Personal Learning Environment) is like the house that PLNs live in.  PLEs provide the space, and tools to get your network together.  CoP (Community of Practice) is just that, a community.  This is a "community" of professionals in the same field, commonly.  I like to think of this as my work colleagues or the associations that I may belong to that have the same professional focus as myself.  Then there are the PLNs, my social group that may or may not be librarians but we are united by a common thread.  It is through these connections that probably provides the most growth.

I think that they can be ever changing though.  I am a librarian that works with many different types of librarians (systems, cataloging, acquisitions, electronic resources, etc.) who have become a large part of my PLN they have taught me so much and given me lots of perspective with what they do every day.  I like the words Personal Learning Network, though.  It makes me feel like because of the people in this group I will definitely grow.

Comments

  1. Thanks for providing another great resource about PLNs. I enjoyed seeing another perspective on PLNs, and this one providing a more specific definition. I think overall, what this week has taught me is the value of learning networks and communities. I echo what you said here "...who have become a large part of my PLN they have taught me so much and given me lots of perspective with what they do every day." Regardless of exactly how we label them, it is helpful when our networks can help us grow.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How Social Do You Want to Be?

LinkedIn

OER...umm Open Educational Resources!