LinkedIn

I joined LinkedIn a few years ago, reluctantly.  Initially, I thought of it as a job searching place instead of
a professional social networking site.   I admit, I was afraid that my employers would think that I was
unhappy and want another job. I was reluctant because it forced me to put my professional self out
there and that wasn’t something that I was used to.  I found that LinkedIn offers so much more than
just job hunting.

 Aside from a place to connect to other professionals in the field, LinkedIn also gives resume building
tips and professional development.  Lynda.com (which you have access to through FSU) offers
courses to help you learn new skills or build upon what you already know. The “Official LinkedIn Blog”
offers a plethora of topics that a reader can explore.  

In a world where social networking gives potential employers so much information (good and bad)
about you, LinkedIn offers a professional platform in conjunction with your cv or resume.  By looking at
your skills and endorsements a potential employer,future business partner or colleagues can begin to
measure your professional worth.

Want to beef up your profile and make yourself more searchable? Here are some great tips.



Retrieved from https://maximizesocialbusiness.com/utlimate-linkedin-profile-tips-summary-infographic-10101/?fb_source=pubv1

Comments

  1. I think a lot of people don’t join or heavily use LinkedIn for exactly the reasons (perceptions) that you cite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We come from a time (or at least I do) when people worked in the same job for 30 years and were "happy" even when they were not. That feeds into the stereotype, I know. But when you look at it... LinkedIn is a PLN, where one can grow professionally and personally.

      Delete
  2. I remember learning about LinkedIn during my Master's program in Career Counseling. It was newer then and not a lot of people knew about it. It was that, Glassdoor, and another site that I can't quite recall. At either rate, it is interesting to see how much it has grown and how schools , particularly the Career Centers, are starting to incorporate social media things into the services they offer. I know the FSU Career Center offers LinkedIn critiques, similar to a resume critique. They also offer LinkedIn workshops to help students start their pages and get familiar with the platform, which is awesome! We have to always stay on top of how the world is operating, especially when it comes to jobs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How Social Do You Want to Be?

OER...umm Open Educational Resources!